Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Promoted!



I've been struggling at work lately. Under appreciated and overworked has been my daily companions for the past few months. A few months ago I had thought I was in line for promotion so I had become more involved with my supervisors' responsibilities, learning and taking them on for myself. I did this fully expecting a promotion that was instead given to someone else. I was hurt and felt very discouraged. Once that person assumed their position I was fully expecting them to take on the duties that they were responsible for instead of me continuing to do them. But that didn't happen. I was doing my job and a vast majority of their job but I couldn't say anything without being a team player, without looking petty. So I didn't say anything or do anything, just accepting it. This morning, I had had enough. I was tired and frustrated. I loved what I did but the pay wasn't worth it, especially when it didn't relate to what I had gone to school for. This morning I had promised myself that I would apply for at least three jobs tonight. Instead, I arrive at my store and I discovered that I had been promoted. And I am ecstatic!

But part of me wonders if this is going to be a good fit. Or in a few months am I going to feel stuck again? Can I continue to work in a field that doesn't set me on fire like history does? I feel like I'm encountering a problem that many people in my position face. I have a stable job that (now) pays decent, I have set benefits and set hours. I can see myself climbing the corporate ladder. But its not how I envisioned my career when I started college. Its not how I envisioned it even a year ago. But can I let go of stability to do something that pertains to my degree, which I might not enjoy. I feel like in college that goals and achieving them was easy. Take class that applies to major, do readings, write essays. Done. But now that I'm in the adult world I feel that everything is so much more complicated. There is no clear path to anything. And I miss the clear path.

No comments:

Post a Comment